Winter Home Security Tips
Here are some Winter Home Security Tips from us here at Britelite Windows.
Now that the dark evenings have drawn closer, it is worthwhile running some checks to the outside of your home, safeguarding the potential for any break ins. Opportunist thefts and burglaries are common at this time of year, as homeowners are generally away at work until 5.30/ 6pm, with the dark evenings helping to cover their whereabouts.
There are a number of easy solutions to protect your home this winter:
- Check all your windows and doors are locked before leaving the house
- Set up internal lighting timers, to make it look as though the house is occupied when you are out in the evening
- Keep gates closed and even locked if necessary (especially gates which access the house from the rear of the garden)
- Keep your shed locked up with a decent padlock. Did you know a lot of burglars will break into your shed to then get the equipment/tools to break into the house! Don’t give them this opportunity.
- You know that ladder that you leave round the side of the house?! Put it in the garage or at least hide it out of the way for that opportunist burglar.
- Install security lighting at the front and rear of your house. Be sure to get these fitted by a qualified electrician if you are not comfortable doing it yourself.
- Talk to your neighbours! Let them know you will keep an eye out for anything “suspicious” and ask for them to do the same. You might even make some new friends in the process! It might also be worth signing up to the local Neighbourhood Watch. You can sometimes even get household insurance discount when a member.
- Look into having a burglar alarm installed. These are a huge deterrent to would be burglars, and will inform everyone nearby that something is happening that shouldn’t be.
A lot of the above points are common sense, but you would be surprised at how much of these we seem to ignore. They won’t take much time to arrange, and some of them are even free or require just a small cost. It’s wholly worthwhile to spend a little bit of money, for some peace of mind. Knowing you have taken some preventative measures to stop a burglar should make you feel a bit more confident on security this winter.
If you are interested in getting secure windows and doors for your home this Winter, then give Britelite Windows a call today and speak to an advisor.
Back to news